Home»Club News»Victory Secured at Lochshore

Victory Secured at Lochshore

Pinterest Google+

Victory Secured at Lochshore

As reported by Tom Dickson

Garnock hosted local rivals in the form of Kilmarnock Rugby Club seeking their first league victory of the season. The team was bolstered by the appearance for the first time this season of Chris Neill.

Garnock kicked off in pleasant condition with the threat of rain in the air. For the first few minutes they held the upper hand. They were winning the lineouts and their own scrums while disrupting the visitors set scrums.

In the 7th minute, referee Simcox penalised Kilmarnock’s stand-off Smith for offside. Keir Walker converted the award from 47 metres to open the scoring at 3 – 0.

Play swung from end to end for the next ten minutes without either side posing any great threat to the other. Defences were well in control at this stage. Jared Reekie at centre looked the sharpest with Luke Wynn testing the Kilmarnock forwards with some powerful surges and drives.

With 18 minutes on the watch and Garnock winning a lineout 20 metres from the visitors try line through Rory Dominy, the ball was fed to the backs. Walker seemed to be blocked in but he spied a gap and grubber kicked the ball through for the speedy Ross Johnston to score at the posts. Walker duly converted to put Garnock further in the lead at 10-0.

Play again settled down with scoring attempts being ably handled by the competent defences. Highlights during this period were the scrummaging of the Garnock pack in easily winning their own put ins and constantly out-shoving the Kilmarnock attempts at getting clean ball.

However, with half time approaching Kilmarnock kicked a penalty into touch at Garnock’s 22 metre line. They won the ball and drove towards the try line where Gary Thornton powered over to score. Alasdair McWhirter converted to make the score close at 10-7 on half time.

The second instalment continued as the first with neither side looking like scoring. Garnock were reduced to 14 players when their prop was sin binned for a late tackle. This setback did not alter the home side’s play. They went further ahead in the 60th minute when Walker converted a penalty from 33 metres to make it 13-7.

Back to full strength the valley squad began to look the better side and play was mostly inside the Kilmarnock half. Scrummages were still going Garnock’s way and lineouts shared.

This changed when Garnock elected to kick a penalty into touch about 10 metres from the Killie line. They won the lineout and when Kilmarnock infringed, they again elected to take the scrum. The pack secured the strike and set up a drive towards the try line where Walker, substituting at scrum half, was alert to touch down as the pack shoved Kilmarnock over. The difficult conversion was missed as Garnock moved ahead at 18-7 with five minutes remaining.

The last minutes belonged to Kilmarnock as they sought to salvage a Losing Bonus point. They camped well inside the Garnock 22 metre area but the home defence held strong.

At the final whistle Garnock deservedly won 18 points to 7.

The Garnock squad 1-19 was :- Wynn, Armstrong, Shiells, Watson, McGeachy, Wilson, Miller DR, Dominy, Trodden, Walker, Lee, Reekie, Irvine, Johnston, Perry, Miller J, Miller F, Miller A and Neil.

Next Saturday (22nd) Garnock travel to Motherwell to play Dalziel with a 3 o’clock kick-off.

Previous post

Last Minute Defeat For Garnock

Next post

Important Win Away at Dalziel