Home»Match Report»Glasgow Accies | 18.04.15

Glasgow Accies | 18.04.15

Pinterest Google+

Lochshore was in pristine conditions last Saturday for the visit of a youthful Glasgow Accies side sitting near the top of the League table.

Garnock had the best of the opening 10 minutes but had trouble winning lineouts, allowing the visitors to gain momentum.

They forced a penalty in front of the Garnock posts, took a quick tap and their right winger powered over the line for a try converted by ex -Garnock player Chris Rhodes.

The home team rallied with scrum half Jared Reekie making a tidy blindside break leading to a penalty for offside. Rory Walker converted to reduce the deficit to 3-7 after 22 minutes.

Accies immediately responded when burly centre Bryden burst through to score a converted try below the posts. Play swung back and forth for the next 10 minutes with both teams trying to play open rugby.

However the visitors looked likelier to score and after a chip ahead Kris Mathie gathered to score, making the score 19-3 at the break.

After the interval Garnock quickly shocked the Accie supporters with 2 well taken tries. Rory Walker and Ewan Perry combined cleverly in midfield, making room for right winger Greg Matthew to score in the corner. Unfortunately Greg was injured illegally after scoring and had to retire, replaced by Ally Anderson. Soon Garnock forwards forced a turnover, speedily transferring the ball for left winger Jordan Taggart to cross, with Walker adding the extras.

Now only trailing by 15-19 the valley team were well placed and were defending stoutly, but lost another back to injury, with Andrew Mitchell taking centre Cammy Perry’s place. After a long kick by Walker took play into the opposing 22, Garnock allowed flying winger Ross Cowan to run three-quarters of the field to score a converted try.

Garnock forwards were trying very hard, gaining a series of penalties. From one in the shadow of the post, the home team’s man of the match Reekie dashed over for a try converted by Walker to close the margin to four points again to 22-26. Garnock failed to gather the ball cleanly from the kick-off, allowing Accies to recycle the ball quickly for their prop to score at the posts. Rhodes duly converted and repeated this after gangly flanker Keiran was allowed to weave his way over the line in injury time, making the final score 40-22.

Maybe the score-line flattered the visitors though they took their chances well, but great credit to Garnock making an excellent game of it.

The final three matches of the season were very entertaining, with a lot of good work put in by both players and coaching staff.

Hopefully with better luck (especially on the injury front), next season could turn out to be more successful.

Previous post

Annan | 13.04.15

Next post

Clydebank Shield