Home»Club News»Garnock Win at The Bearyards

Garnock Win at The Bearyards

Pinterest Google+

Garnock Win at the Bearyards

(Reported by Tom Dickson)

Garnock travelled the short distance to Bishopbriggs to take on Allan Glen’s (AG’s) in their latest quest for league points, in good heart after their stunning victory against league leaders, East Kilbride, last weekend.

The game started with Garnock kicking off into a strong sun on a pitch made for running rugby. They pressurised the AG’s for the first five minutes but the home defence repulsed Garnock’s attacks.

However, AG’s conceded a penalty after six minutes of sustained Garnock pressure, for an illegal entry to a maul on the halfway line. Keir Walker’s kick was just wide of the posts.

Garnock continued to dominate with Jonny Watson and his forwards winning the lineouts and sharing the set pieces.

With 25 minutes on the clock, Garnock lost the ball in midfield near the centre line. The ball was fed to the AG’s stand off who weaved his way through some poor Garnock defence to score a fine individualist try at the posts. He converted to make the score 7 – 0, totally against the run of play.

The pattern of play continued until the halftime whistle with Garnock trying to play their running brand of rugby but being thwarted by stout AG’s defensive system and some poor handling by the visitor’s.

Garnock started the second half with a bang. In their first real attack towards the home 22 metre area, the forwards won a scrum near the centre line. The ball was fed through the backs hands to allow Callum Harris room to power over for a try near the touchline. The conversion was missed but with 43 minutes gone, Garnock were back in contention at 7 – 5.

Ten minutes later they went in front when Matt Shiells rounded off a pushover try from a 5 metre scrum to score an opportunist try. The conversion was missed but Garnock were ahead 7 -10.

They moved further ahead when Keir Walker goaled a penalty awarded for offside on the AG’s 22 metre line. Sixty-three minutes play and the score 7 – 13 in Garnock’s favour.

Garnock continued to dominate but the AG’s defence stuck to their defensive system to frustrate the visitors.

With ten minutes remaining, AG’s were in possession and in a good position to attack. A slightly loose pass allowed the ever-alert Rory Walker to intercept the wayward ball and weave his way over the try line.

For the final 10 minutes the pattern of play continued as before with Garnock’s attacks being well held by the AG’s defensive wall. With the final whistle sounding Garnock won 18 – 7 and another four point victory secured.

This was a deserved victory against the side immediately below Garnock in the league. It keeps Garnock in 4th position and opens a big gap between the first four and the rest in the league.

The Garnock squad on the day was (1-19): Miller J, O’Neill, Wynn, McGeachy, Watson, Wilson, Miller DR, Shiells (Capt), Walker K, Neill, Harris, Taggart, Tupou, Anderson, Walker R, Chapman,Miller A, Reid and Brocket.

Garnock’s next game is on January 7th 2017 at Lochshore against Irvine Rugby Club with a 2 o’clock kick-off.

Previous post


Next post

OVERS AND UNDERS - Monday 2nd January 2017