Home»Club News»Garnock Win At Bearyards

Garnock Win At Bearyards

Pinterest Google+

Garnock Down Glen’s reported by Tom Dickson

Last Saturday Garnock travelled to Bishopbriggs in Glasgow to play the local Allan Glen’s Rugby Club in a crunch match. Glen’s were on top of the league with six Bonus Point wins and Garnock, with games in hand, were in mid-table.

Glen’s kicked-off in cold but dry conditions on a good playing surface and for the first five minutes showed why they were league leaders by denying Garnock any possession.

Penalties were being conceded by either side but too far out to offer any points chances.

Both sides were playing attractive attacking rugby and keeping the crowd of spectators aroused. Both sets of defence were well marshalled and snuffed out any potential breakaway.

In the 25th minute the Garnock pack won a ruck and the ball was fed to the backs. From scrum half to stand off the ball reached Jared Reekie near the Garnock 10 metre line. In a typical Reekie run, he dodged his way through and passed several would-be tacklers to score at the posts. Keir Walker converted and Garnock led 0 – 7.

At this stage Garnock looked the more aggressive side and set about trying to add to their score. This passage of play saw the ball moving from end to end but no real danger to the scoreboard.

With 34 minutes played Glen’s were awarded the first kickable penalty ably converted by Thomson. Glen’s were on the score card at 3 – 7.

Both sides kept plugging away trying to breach the well-organised defences and it wasn’t until the last minute of the half that Garnock went further ahead when Glen’s were punished after they illegally stopped Matt Shiells on a surging run. From 35 metres out Keir Walker slotted the ball between the uprights. Half time came with Garnock in the lead at 3 – 10.

Allan Glen’s started the second course much stronger than Garnock and drew closer when they converted two penalties in the 41st and 47th minutes to close the score to 9 – 10.

Garnock suffered a further set-back when the referee awarded Glen’s a penalty try for repeated infringements. This put Allan Glen’s in front for the first time at 16 – 10.

Walker converted a penalty in the 77th minute and at 16 – 13 the game opened up. Both sides had eyes on a victory and the last few minutes were the most exciting of the match.

Garnock were at this stage gaining the upper hand. They forced their way well inside the Glen’s half after winning a scrum on the half way line. When awarded a penalty, elected to kick to touch for position and won possession from the lineout. After a short drive the ball was fed to the backs who in turn released Reekie at pace. The centre sped over unopposed at the posts. Walker converted to put Garnock in front at 16 – 20 with only a minute remaining.

At full time Garnock were the victors at 20 points to Allan Glen’s 16 points.

The victorious Garnock squad on the day was: Shiells, O’Neill, Miller F, McGeachy, Miller D, McIntosh, Johnston, Wilson, Walker K, Walker R, Woods, Taggart, Reekie, Perry, Neill, Loach, Dominy, Gibb and Fraser.

This Saturday 23rd November Garnock entertain Irvine Rugby Club at Lochshore with a 2pm kick-off.


Previous post

November '100 Club' Winners!

Next post

Garnock Draw with Irvine