Home»Club News»Garnock Take Runners Up Place

Garnock Take Runners Up Place

Pinterest Google+

Garnock Take Runners Up Place

As reported by Tom Dickson.

Garnock completed their league campaign with a short trip to Irvine last Saturday.

They kicked-off in glorious spring conditions and immediately put the home side under pressure but could not capitalise on their possession.

Play swung from one 22 metre line to the other with neither looking like scoring due to the tight defensive set up of both. Garnock backs looked the more impressive with Keir Walker and Chris Neill attempting to run the ball on every occasion.

Garnock won a reset scrum about 25 metres from their own line. The ball was transferred along the line and Jordan Taggart finished off the best move of the game so far when he powered his way through and past defenders to score at the posts. Walker converted to make the score 0 – 7 after 14 minutes. One minute later the scores were tied when Irvine’s right winger kicked through and won the chase to the line. The conversion was successful.

Play resumed as before with both sides now looking to run the ball at every chance offered. However, with both defences being well-organised, the half ended in a 7 – 7 tie.

At this stage Garnock were beginning to look the better side and gaining the upper hand in the set pieces.

Again, the second half continued as the first, but play was stilted with both sides guilty of poor passing and conceding too many penalties.

From one such penalty award, Garnock elected to go for a touch. With the lineout won and the powerful drive set up, Richard O’Neill took possession of the ball. With the forwards help he scored well out. The difficult kick was missed but Garnock moved ahead at 7 – 12 after 51 minutes.

Ten minutes later the scores were again tied when a Garnock move broke down and Irvine’s centre scored a try from a loose pick up. The conversion was missed.

Play became a bit ragged with both sides cancelling each other out.

In the 75th minute Garnock were awarded a scrum at the Irvine 22 metre line. The ball was won and transferred to the backs. Jared Reekie made several metres and was held up. The ever-ready Walker was on hand to wrest the ball free and dive over the line for a score. He converted the kick to push the score out to 12 – 19.

The remainder of the game was played with Garnock holding on to their lead and ended with Garnock on the attack near the Irvine 22 metre line.

This victory kept Garnock in with a chance of finishing in second position in the West Division 1 league. This was confirmed on the following day (Sunday) when Carrick (Champions) defeated Allan Glens.


Previous post


Next post

2018 Annual General Meeting Monday 18th June