Home»Club News»Garnock Suffer Narrow Defeat

Garnock Suffer Narrow Defeat

Pinterest Google+

Garnock Lose Narrowly

(Reported by Tom Dickson)

Garnock travelled to Maybole on Saturday to take on second placed Carrick in their return fixture for season 2016/17. The first game in early September proved a tight encounter with Carrick scraping through 13 – 7. This game was to prove just as tight.

Carrick kicked off on a clear Autumnal day and immediately showed why the sit near the top of the league. They powered into the Garnock 22 metre area but were held by the Garnock squad.

Stand-off Kyle Johnson spied a gap in the visitors defence and sped through to score near the posts. He converted his try and with 3 minutes played Carrick led 7 – 0.

Play settled down for a few minutes with Garnock coming more into the game. They almost crossed the Carrick try line but were held up.

On the 13 minute mark their play was rewarded when they forced a line-out at the 5 metre mark. With all the forwards involved they pushed towards the try line and captain Matt Shiells forced himself over for a try. Keir Walker converted to tie the scores at 7 points each.

Play was centred in mid-field with some fine rugby being played by both sides. Set scrums were being shared but Garnock were edging the line-outs. The Garnock breakaway forwards were taking care of any Carrick breaks around the scrum as were the Carrick breakaways. With both squads trying to gain the upper hand and trying to run the ball at every occasion, the spectators were treated to a spell of fine rugby.

With the first half running out Carrick won a line-out near the Garnock try line and the ball was fed out to Nathan Murray who sped in for their second try. The conversion was missed and the half came to a close at 12 – 7 to Carrick.

Two minutes later Garnock drew closer when Keir Walker converted a penalty when Carrick strayed offside.

Two minutes later Garnock were reduced to fourteen when their winger was Yellow Carded.

This reverse did not seem to upset the Garnock play as they were still trying to run the ball at Carrick.

51 minutes on the clock and Carrick punted a penalty to the Garnock 5 metre line. They won the line-out and in a well-rehearsed move Blair Jardine powered over from close range. Johnson converted to make the score 19 – 10.

Play slackened off a little with referee Steven penalising the offenders in an attempt to get the game flowing again.

In the 67th minute Garnock won a line-out and drove round the front where John Miller touched down near the touchline. The conversion was missed but with the score at 19 – 15 Garnock were still in the game.

Carrick came back at Garnock and Johnson kicked a penalty to make the final score Carrick 22 Garnock 15.

The Garnock squad was (1-19) :- J.Miller, L.Wynn, M.Shiells, J.Watson, L.McGeachey, G.Reid, DR Miller, S.Wilson, K.Walker, R.Walker, F.Brocket, J.Taggart, J.Reekie, A.Anderson, C.Neill, A.Brocket, D.Miller, A.Miller and C.Harris.

Next Saturday Helensburgh come to Lochshore where the kick-off is at 2 0’clock.

Previous post

U14 win at Bishopton

Next post