Home»Club News»Garnock Lose Tight Game

Garnock Lose Tight Game

Pinterest Google+

Garnock Lose Tight Game

(Reported by Tom Dickson)

In a game peppered with penalties, Garnock were unlucky losers at Bishopbriggs against Allan Glen’s.

Garnock kicked off on a sunny autumnal afternoon and immediately set siege well inside the Glen’s 22 metre area. With less than a minute on the watch they were awarded the first penalty of the game when the home side were deemed to be offside by referee MacLean. The difficult kick was missed by Rory Walker.

For the next half hour, the game settled down but was played between the two 22 metre lines with neither side looking like scoring. During this period Garnock were dominating the lineouts but were struggling in the set scrums against a heavier Allan Glen’s pack.

Penalties were conceded by both sides but the goal kicks were too far out to worry the scoreboard.

The highlights of this period were the willingness of the Garnock backs in trying to run the ball at every occasion, the forwards’ lineout play and both sides defensive set-up.

Something had to give and it was Allan Glen’s who triumphed when Kieron Reilly ended the best move of the game so far with a try near the posts S.Thomson converted to make the score 7 – 0 in Glen’s favour after 31 minutes.

With half time looming, Walker kicked Garnock to the home 22 metre line from a penalty awarded for a dangerous tackle. They chose to catch and drive the resulting lineout but were illegally stopped by the Glen’s pack. From the middle of the field of play Chrissie Neill slotted home the penalty to make the half time score 7 – 3 to Allan Glens.

The second half was four minutes old when Glen’s scored their second try after a period of sustained forward pressure. The conversion was missed but Glen’s led 12 – 3 after 44 minutes.

This seemed to act as the spur Garnock needed and for the next 15 minutes were well on top. They were awarded a penalty try after Ian Halbert was stopped from scoring by a high tackle from an Allan Glen’s player who was yellow carded. The try was converted by Walker to make the score 12 – 10 on the hour mark.

For the remainder of the game, play swung from end to end but the score remained at 12 – 10. Garnock came closest when Halbert was stopped short of the line and when Ben Gallacher and Jordan Taggart combined to test the home defence in the dying minutes.

The game finally petered out with Garnock involved in another tight game but losing by 12 points to 10.

Next Saturday 24th October Garnock play Glasgow Accies at Lochshore with a 1 o’clock kick-off.


Previous post

U13/14 Triumph at Newton Stewart

Next post

U18 win at Newton Stewart