Home»Club News»Garnock Lose at Bearyards

Garnock Lose at Bearyards

Pinterest Google+

Garnock Lose at Bearyards


Garnock took on Allan Glens at the Bearyards with a squad depleted by suspension, injury and illness. This was not helped by losing Rory Walker to an aggravated hamstring injury during the warm up resulting in a backline reshuffle before the match started.


Garnock kicked off with a slight breeze at their backs . Early stages of the game saw Garnock apply sustained pressure in the Glens 22 however an infringement at a scrum allowed Glens to clear their lines. After 10 minutes a pinpoint kick up the touchline from Tony Woods and subsequent lineout steal resulted if further Garnock pressure which brought about a penalty against Glens for offside. Keir Walker slotted the kick and Garnock went ahead 3-0


For the following 10 minutes the game was played mostly between the two 22m lines with both teams defences holding firm and there being very few line breaks. After 22minutes Garnock were awarded a penalty just inside the Glens half. With a slight wind at his back Keir Walker considered the posts to be within range . A sweet connection and the ball passed through the uprights with something to spare. Garnock doubled their lead to 6 -0


Again the game settled down to a midfield stalemate before a bullocking run by Luke Wynn took Garnock back into the attacking zone. Unfortunately a handling error resulted in Glens turning over the ball and clearing to half way.


With time running out in the first half Glens put together a sustained attack near the Garnock line however strong defence kept them at bay and a turnover was secured. The clearance kick didn’t find touch and the Glens fullback Craig McLay returned the ball deep into the Garnock 22 before releasing winger Grant Henderson to score in the corner. The conversion was missed bringing about half time with the score A Glens 5 – 6 Garnock.


The second half started with Glens in the ascendency however despite a period of intense pressure the Garnock defence held . After 56 minutes it was Garnock’s turn to apply pressure to the home defence resulting in a penalty wide out on the right. Garnock elected to kick for goal however this time Keir Walker’s effort was narrowly wide.


The Glens 22m drop out restart was kicked long down field where a miscued kick by Garnock went straight to the hands of a Glens player 30m from the Garnock line. The ball was fed inside to Glens centre Levi Ekevati who romped through to score adjacent to the posts. The successful conversion made the score Glens 12- 6 Garnock .


Garnock responded immediately and after securing the kick off they made their way into the Glens 22. Following a line out Garnock set up a powerful driving maul toward the Glens line however the ball was eventually held up in goal. Garnock were unable to capitalise on the resultant scrum and Glens were able to clear the ball downfield.


The last quarter of the game was generally played between the 22m lines with the only further points coming from two successful Glens penalties converted by stand-off Glen Watt.


At the referee’s final whistle the score stood at Glens 18- 6 Garnock. This was a disappointing result for the Lochshore men however there is no doubt Glens were made to work hard for the victory.


The Garnock squad was Shiells, Chapman, Wynn, McGeachy, J Miller, Watson, Johnston, Dominy, Walker, Perry, Trodden, Taggart, Reekie, Woods and Jacobson. Subs F Miller and Gibb

Next week Garnock welcome Stewartry to Lochshore for a 3pm kick off

Previous post

Match Report - Minis and Micros at Strathendrick

Next post