Home»Club News»Garnock Keep a Clean Sheet

Garnock Keep a Clean Sheet

Pinterest Google+

Garnock Keep a Clean Sheet

(Reported by Tom Dickson)

On a cold wet September afternoon, Garnock entertained Allan Glen’s at Lochshore. With only points differential separating the sides a tight game was expected.

Allan Glen’s kicked off towards the whisky bonds and forced their way into the home 22 metre area. With two minutes on the watch Garnock were awarded a penalty when a Glen’s forward was deemed to have entered a ruck illegally. Rory Walker relieved the danger with a kick to touch, well inside the visitor’s half. Garnock elected to drive the ball towards the try line on winning the lineout through Jonny Walker. The AG defence held strong and forced Garnock back towards the half way line.

For the next 20 minutes, play concentrated in centre-field with neither side looking like scoring. During this phase Garnock were dominating the lineouts and the set scrums were being shared. Allan Glen’s back division were always looking to run the ball but the home defence remained intact.

The game at this stage was peppered with penalties with both squads responsible for the stoppages.

In the 37th minute Garnock were defending in their own half when they broke out. The ball was transferred through hands and Rory Walker rounded off the best move of the game so far to score near the posts. Brother Keir converted to make the score 7 – 0 to Garnock at the end of the half.

The game restarted in deteriorating conditions making open play difficult.

Allan Glen’s were reduced to fourteen when their No.4 was sin binned for a technical infringement. Three minutes later, on the 54 minute mark, Garnock scored through Keir Walker after a concentrated attack on the Glen’s try line. They tried to force their way over several times. Graeme Reid was held up over the try line, the ball was released backwards and Walker was alert to dive over to touchdown. The conversion was missed but Garnock moved ahead at 12 – 0.

Penalty offences continued to be committed and Garnock suffered two separate sin binnings in the 63rd and 70th minutes of the game.

However, the tackling of the Garnock squad remained steady and the game petered out without any further scoring with Garnock keeping a clean sheet for the first time this season and a welcome four league points secured. This result puts Garnock in 4th position in the league.

The Garnock squad on the day was (1-18) : John Miller, Stuart Wilson, Luke Wynn, Lewis McGeachy, David Miller, Graeme Reid, David R Miller, Jonny Watson, Keir Walker, Rory Walker, Andrew Mitchell, Ally Anderson, Jordan Taggart, Fraser Brocket, Chris Neil, Per Jacobson, Alan Miller and David McNair.

Next Saturday (October 1st) Garnock take on local rivals Irvine at Marress with a 3 o’clock kick-off.

Previous post


Next post

Youngsters against Hawks on Sunday 25th September