Home»Club News»Garnock Go Top

Garnock Go Top

Pinterest Google+

Garnock Go Top

As reported by Tom Dickson.

Last Saturday Garnock travelled the short distance to take on Greenock Wanderers at Fort Matilda. The weather was wet and windy and not conducive to handling rugby. In fact, for the first 10 minutes of the game it was not what the large crowd of spectators was expecting.

That first ten saw Garnock trail by 6 points to 0 via penalties, two from Devlin of Greenock .

However, the remainder of the match proved much more exciting as both sides opened out their play.

Garnock were first to turn on the style. From a penalty Walker kicked to touch towards the home 22 metre line. Jonny Watson won the lineout, the ball was fed out to the backs and Jordan Taggart sped in to score the first try of the game near the touchline. Eleven minutes played and the score became 6 –5.

Play continued as before but Garnock were becoming the more dominant side especially in the forwards. They were rewarded when the pack powered their way towards the Greenock try line and Walker spied a gap and darted over to take the lead at 6 – 10 after 21 minutes.

Greenock replied a minute later with another Devlin penalty and went ahead with a converted try on the 23rd minute after some poor Garnock tackling, to push the score to 16 – 10.

Again, Garnock came back and forced their way towards the home try line. From a loose maul they bullied their way over and Jonny Watson scored close to the posts. Walker converted to make the score 16 – 17.

Greenock replied with yet another penalty conversion from 22 metres and in centre park to make the half time score 19 – 17.

The second half restarted at a frantic pace with both sides trying to stretch their opponents to the limit. A Walker penalty put Garnock ahead at 19 – 20 after 45 minutes. At this stage Garnock began to dominated the set scrums and most of the lineouts. But it was Greenock who added to their score when their centre, Smith, intercepted a wayward pass to run 60 metres and score at the posts. The conversion was completed and Greenock led 26 – 20 after 50 minutes.

The Garnock squad began to play a tighter game in the forwards forcing themselves further forward into the Greenock “danger area.” From a scrum on the home 22 metre line Walker picked up and beat three defenders to score near the touchline. 54 minutes gone and only one point in the game at 26 – 25.

From here on Garnock camped well inside the Greenock half. All penalties awarded were either kicked to touch or scrums were selected. All resulting scrums were won by Garnock but the Greenock defence held them out.

With 10 minutes to go and looking for their fourth and bonus point try they were awarded yet another scrum. From the resulting melee Matt Shiells picked up and forced his way over supported by his pack. Walker converted and the score moved on to 26 – 32.

In the last minute of the game and with Garnock again camped near the score line and with Greenock constantly infringing, Referee Malone had no option but to award a Penalty Try.

Final score Greenock 26 Garnock 39 in a game the had every one on their toes from the 10th minute.

This result accompanied with other postponed matches sees Garnock move into 1st position in West Division 1.

Next Saturday Garnock are at home to Cambuslang at Lochshore with a 2 0’clock kick-off.


Previous post


Next post