Home»Match Report»Garnock Go One over the Eight

Garnock Go One over the Eight

Pinterest Google+

Garnock Go One over the Eight
(Reported by Tom Dickson)
Garnock turned in a stunning display of rugby to beat Helensburgh at Lochshore last Saturday by posting their biggest score of the season at 60 points to 7 and scoring nine tries to one.

The game started with Garnock kicking off but knocking on to set up the first scrum of the game. Helensburgh won the scrum and fed their stand off. His clearing kick was charged down by Stuart Wilson but the flanker could not gather the ball cleanly. Again Garnock disrupted the visitor’s heel to keep the pressure up well inside the Helensburgh half.

They were rewarded in the 4th minute when referee Ramsay awarded a penalty. Keir Walker converted from 30 metres out to make the score 3 – 0 to Garnock.

From the restart Garnock kept the pressure on Helensburgh and, from around the halfway line, Rory Walker chipped the ball over the advancing defenders, collected the bounce and fed Jordan Taggart who powered past tacklers to score at the posts. Keir Walker converted and the score moved on to 10 – 0 after 6 minutes.

The next 15 minutes saw Garnock run in three more tries. The first came when a Helensburgh clearance to their 22 metre line allowed Garnock to win the lineout and drive towards the score line. Luke Wynn broke away and crashed over for the score. The conversion was missed but the score became 15 – 0 after 9 minutes.

The same player doubled his account on the 16th minute when he touched down after a concentrated Garnock forward drive. Walker converted to make it 22 – 0.

Four minutes later Garnock were awarded a penalty for a deliberate knock on. From the resultant line out the ball was fed through the backs and Jared Reekie sped over unopposed to secure the Bonus Point try. Walker converted and with threequarters of the game left, Garnock were in front at 29 – 0.

On one of Helensburgh’s rare forays into the Garnock 22 metre area, scrum half Jonny Drake found space and his speed allowed him to beat the Garnock cover to score at the posts. He converted the try to make the score 29 – 7 after 31 minutes and the last score of the half.

The second half was a repeat of the first. Garnock were stronger in the set scrums and dominant in the line outs. Their backs were always willing to run at the opposition and the forwards gave them an ample supply of the ball. This ensured that tries followed at regular intervals.

With the second half underway, Ally Anderson broke away from the half way line and ran through the visitors defence to score the fifth try. Walker converted to push the score to 36 – 7.

At this point referee Ramsay broke up a “stramash” and yellow carded a player from each side to restore order.

The sixth try came along in the 51st minute when Jared Reekie rounded off another very good Garnock handling move to score at the posts. Walker converted to make it 43 – 7.

Try number 7 was scored by Stuart Wilson as the Garnock pack opened up the Helensburgh midfield to let the flanker burst over after 58 minutes and put Garnock further in front at 48 – 7.

Ten minutes later saw Lewis McGeachy collect the ball 20 metres from the Helensburgh line. He spied a gap, sped through to score at the posts. Walker converted to turn the scoreboard to 55 – 7.

Garnock’s final try came in the last move of the game when Jared Reekie rounded off a great afternoon for himself to score his third try and Garnock’s ninth with a powerful run from halfway to the corner. The conversion was missed and the referee blew for time. The final score of 60 – 7 emphasised Garnock’s dominance but the visitors played to the final whistle.

The Garnock squad was (1-19) : Wynn, O’Neill, Shiells, D.Miller, McGeachy, Reid, Wilson, Watson, K.Walker, R.Walker, Brocket, Taggart, Reekie, Anderson, Harris, Chapman, A.Miller, Neill and Johnson.

Next Saturday Garnock have a break from the league and play Newton Stewart at Wigtown in a Preliminary Round of the BT West Regional Shield.

Previous post


Next post

Garnock/Irvine U15s v Marr Sunday 20th November