Home»Club News»Garnock Go One Over the Eight

Garnock Go One Over the Eight

Pinterest Google+

Garnock Go One Over the Eight

(Reported by Tom Dickson)

Garnock travelled to Cambuslang to take on the local club in their quest for league points and to establish themselves as promotion candidates.

Missing a couple of regulars, Coach McDonald elected to include some young club members on the field and on the bench.

Garnock kicked-off in dreich conditions and immediately set about attacking the home try line. They camped well inside the Cambuslang half but they were unable to open the scoring until the 10th minute despite strong running from Jordan Taggart and Jared Reekie the Garnock centres. Set scrums were going Garnock’s way with their powerful front row of Luke Wynn, Richard O’Neill and Joe Chapman.

The try came from yet another scrum from the Garnock pack. The ball was fed out through the backs to allow Tony Woods enough room to dive over near the corner. The conversion was missed but Garnock were on the move at 0 – 5 after 10 minutes.

Garnock continued to dominate the play and in the 22nd minute went further ahead when Keir Walker converted a penalty from 20 metres to push the score to 0 – 8.

Garnock secured the Bonus Point try before the end of the first half.

In the 26th minute Chris Neill fielded the ball on the Cambuslang 22 metre line and dodged his way through the defenders to score near the posts Walker converted to make it 0 -15.

Their third try came in the 31st minute. Garnock were awarded a penalty for a high tackle. Walker took a quick tap, the ball was transferred through several pairs of hands and Richard O’Neill spied a gap and powered over. The difficult conversion was missed and Garnock led by 20 points.

Three minutes remained in the half and Garnock had another penalty inside the Cambuslang half. They elected to kick for touch. From the lineout Jonny Watson won the ball. The forwards drove forward, released the ball after committing the home pack. Neill and Taggart combined for the latter to cruise for the fourth try. Walker converted and Garnock led by 27 points to 0 at half time.

The second half started and with only two minutes played, Cambuslang’s Lewis Senter fielded a ball well inside his own half and sprinted past several Garnock defenders to score at the posts. Ross Mulligan converted to bring the score to 7 – 27.

Garnock’s play continued to dominate and it was not surprising that they went further ahead when Reekie scored two tries in the 45th and 49th minutes. Walker converted one and the score moved to 7 – 39.

At this time the Garnock pack were dominant winning most of the scrums and lineouts.

However, in the 60th minute Senter of Cambuslang intercepted a wayward pass and sped some 70 metres to score another try. Mulligan converted to make it 14 – 39.

This reversal spurred both sides and the last 20 minutes saw both sides playing good rugby.

In this period Cambuslang lost two players through injury and Garnock capitalised by running in three more scores.

In the 63rd minute, Woods rounded of a backs handling move to score his second at the touchline. The conversion was missed. Score 14 – 44.

In the 69th minute, Garnock were awarded a scrum 5 metres out in the centre of the posts. Gregor Armstrong was the quickest to pounce on the ball and score. Walker converted. Score 14 – 51.

In Cambuslang’s best move of the game they scored after running the ball at the Garnock defence. 72 minutes played and the score was 19 – 51.

Garnock, in the guise of Keir Walker, had the last score when he dodged past defenders from 22 metres out to score near the posts. His conversion made the final score Cambuslang 19 points Garnock 58 points.

Next Saturday Garnock play Kilmarnock in a league match at Lochshore with a 2 o’clock kick-off.

The Garnock squad was : Luke Wynn, Richard O’Neill, Joe Chapman, Jonny Watson, Lewis McGeachie, Rory Dominy, David R Miller, Matt Shiells, Keir Walker, Chris Neill, Mathew Richmond, Jordan Taggart, Jared Reekie, Fraser Brocket, Tony Woods, Gregor Armstrong, James Gibb, Alan Miller and Ben Trodden.


Previous post

Cambuslang v Garnock 11th November Kick off 1.30pm

Next post