Home»Club News»Garnock Exit Shield Competition

Garnock Exit Shield Competition

Pinterest Google+

Garnock Exit Shield Competition

Published by Tom Dickson

Garnock travelled to Bishopbriggs to take on old rivals Allan Glen’s in the West Regional Shield. The clubs finished second and third in last season’s West League.

The game started in dismal rainy conditions with Garnock kicking towards the town area. From the kick-off the ball was won by Jonny Watson. From the ensuing ruck the ball was deemed to have been knocked on by Garnock. Glen’s won the scrum but kicked directly into touch. From the pinpoint throw in from new-comer Aaron Armstrong, Watson won the first of many for Garnock on the day.

Play swung from end to end with neither side managing to penetrate the tight defences. Set scrums were going with the put-ins but Garnock were shading the lineouts.

However, Allan Glen’s were the first on the scoreboard when full back Grant Henderson kicked a penalty from 45 metres to make the score 3-0 after 12 minutes.

It took only 3 minutes for Garnock to get on level terms when Keir Walker kicked a penalty award from 35 metres. After 15 minutes the game was tied and neither side looked like breaking down the tight defences.

Glen’s moved ahead when Henderson converted from Garnock’s 22 metre line to make the score 6-3 after 22 minutes.

This score seemed to spur on the home squad and they scored two unconverted tries before half-time. David Lowe scored the first when he rounded-off a fine handling movement when he sped in for his try near the touchline.

The second was scored by Henderson, who was looking like the best player on the pitch, as he dodged his way over to score well out after 33 minutes.

Half time came with Allan Glens 16-3 in the lead.

The second half started with Glen’s forcing a lineout 15 metres from the Garnock when they chose to kick a penalty award rather than take to kick for goal. Garnock won the lineout but the relieving kick was charged down for prop Antony O’Donnal to score at the posts. Henderson converted and the score moved on to 23-3 for the home side after 42 minutes played.

Four minutes later Alan Glen’s were reduced to 14 players when their No.5 was yellow carded for a high tackle.

In the 53rd minute Garnock scored. From a penalty near the halfway line Walker found touch about 10 metres out. With the line out won through Rory Dominy Garnock drove forward and played the ball back. Scrum half Jared Reekie was first to react and was able to touchdown near the side line. The difficult kick was missed but the score moved closer at 23-8.

64 minutes on the watch and Henderson kicked another long-range penalty to push his squad further ahead at 26-8.

In the 72nd minute Allan Glen’s No. 18 was allowed to power his way from his own 22 line to score at the posts for a very good try. Henderson converted to make the final score Alan Glen’s 33 Garnock 8.

Garnock squad on the day was :-Shiells, Armstrong, Wynn, Watson, McGeachy, Miller A, Miller DR, Dominy, Reekie, Walker, Brocket F, Irvine, Taggart, Johnston, Perry, Gibb, Loach, Miller D and Chapman-Donnelly.

Garnock’s next scheduled game is on 1st September at Lochshore in the first round of Tennents League fixtures. Their opponents are Allan Glen’s. Kick-off is at 3 o’clock.

Previous post


Next post

Garnock Defeated at Lochshore