Home»Club News»Garnock Crush Cambuslang

Garnock Crush Cambuslang

Pinterest Google+

Garnock Crush Cambuslang Reported by Tom Dickson

Cambuslang were Garnock’s visitors at Lochshore last Saturday. They found the valley side far too strong for them and finally succumbed to a 76 – 0 thrashing.

Garnock scored a total of twelve tries, half coming from Man of the Match, Jared Reekie, with Keir Walker converting eight of them.

Garnock kicked off towards the town end at Lochshore and immediately put the visitors under pressure. They won the first scrum and drove towards the Cambuslang try line but were penalised for not releasing.

The visitors line was breached in the 6th minute. Garnock were awarded a penalty when Cambuslang were caught offside. Keir Walker kicked for position well inside the visitor’s 22 metre area. The lineout was won and fed back to the threequarters where Reekie opened the scoring with a try near the posts. Walker converted to put the home squad 7 – 0 in front.

Scores followed at regular intervals to give Garnock a 33 – 0 lead at half-time.

Tony Woods rounded off a well-rehearsed move on the 11-minute mark involving Walker, Reekie and Danny Irvine, to burst through and score well out. The kick was missed.

Lewis McGeachy scored in the 17th minute from a set scrum pick up and charge through to the try line. Walker converted to make the score 19 – 0.

Two more converted tries followed before the end of the first half the first in the 31st minute when David Miller ran around the front of the line after Garnock had won the put-in to score unopposed. Again, Walker converted.

Reekie finished off the half when he dodged his way through the Cambuslang defence to score at the posts in the 39th minute. Walker converted and the half came to a close.

The second half saw Garnock playing some very good open rugby and racking up the points against a demoralised visiting squad. Again, tries followed at regular intervals.

From the restart, Reekie took a quick tap penalty. The ball was passed among the forwards and Rory Dominy powered over to score. The conversion was missed. The score became 38 – 0.

Five minutes later it stretched to 43 – 0 when Richard O’Neil scored after the Garnock pack had won a set scrum. They drove forward about 20 metres and the young forward picked up and scored with ease. The difficult kick was missed.

From here on we were treated to the Reekie/Walker show with Reekie scoring four more tries and Walker one try and converting all five.

Reekie scored after 66 and 68 minutes. The first came when he fielded a ball at the Garnock 22 metre line. He dodged his way through the Cambuslang defence to score at the posts. Walker’s conversion made the score 50 – 0. The second came from a quick tap penalty. Woods and Reekie exchanged passes and the centre scored at the posts. With Walker’s conversion, Garnock had a 57 – 0 lead.

With six minutes remaining, Walker ran the ball from a penalty for a high tackle. He evaded several would-be tacklers to score close to the posts. His conversion made the score 64 – 0.

Reekie scored his fifth of the day after the forwards had won a scrum against the head (not for the first time today) and set the backs moving. Reekie spotted the gap and sped through to dot down at the posts. Walker brought out the extras to make it 71 – 0.

Four minutes to go and referee yellow carded a Cambuslang forward. The Cambuslang stand off was also yellow carded.

Garnock’s wing forward was awarded a yellow card for retaliation in the 78th minute.

In the last minute the Garnock scrum won the ball from a loose Cambuslang kick ahead and set up a drive back towards the half-way line. The ball was released to Reekie who rounded of in style to dodge and weave his way over the line. The conversion was missed to make the final score Garnock 76 Cambuslang 0.

This was a competent Garnock victory. There was no Garnock failure on the field of play. The subtle use of replacements did not allow their opponents to exploit any area of the game. All in all, this was a squad victory.

The Garnock squad was : Shiells, O’Neill, Chapman, McGeachy, D.Miller, Wilson, Watson, Dominy, Walker, Neill, Brocket, Reekie, Irvine, Johnston, Woods, A.Miller, Halbert, DR.Miller and Richmond.

Previous post


Next post