Home»Club News»Garnock By A Point

Garnock By A Point

Pinterest Google+
Garnock By A Point.
Reported by Tom Dickson
Garnock Rugby Club played host to newly-promoted Lenzie in last Saturday’s
league fixture at Lochshore. With numerous players missing due to holidays,injury and work
commitments the game was always going to be tight against an undefeated
Lenzie squad.
Lenzie kicked off and soon showed why they were promoted last season. From
the start to the end of the match they ran the ball at every chance that came
their way. To their great credit, Garnock matched them in their defensive play.
In the 7 th minute Fraser Miller rounded off a driving maul to score mid-way out
to open the scoring. With Keir Walker’s kick bisecting the posts, Garnock
moved into a 7 – 0 lead.
This lead was short lived when Lenzie scored after their second row forward,
Charlie Ewan powered his way through several Garnock tacklers to score at the
posts. Peter Burns converted and the scores were tied at seven points.
For the next 15 minutes play concentrated around the half way line with
neither side gaining any dominance. Jordan Taggart was unlucky when he
fielded a long kick and gained some 30 metres with a mazy run only to be
stopped near the visitors try line.
At this point Garnock’s pack were beginning to get the better of the set scrums
but could not turn this possession into points.
In the 24 th minute Lenzie went ahead through their full back who scored a try
near the touchline to round off the best move of the game so far. The
conversion was missed to make it 7 -12 to Lenzie. Two minutes later Garnock
fell further behind when left winger, Peter Carvalho, picked up a Garnock
fumble and sped 50 meters to score at the posts. Burns converted and the
score became 7 – 19.
With 29 minutes played, Keir Walker set off on one of his typical runs and,
leaving floundering defenders in his wake, scored near the touch. He
converted his try and made the score 14 – 19 to Lenzie.
With the half running out Lenzie scored their Bonus Point try. Right winger
Euan Mackay was given too much space at the end of a good Lenzie attack to
score in the corner. The conversion was missed and the score moved to 14 –
With half time looming there was time for Garnock to tighten up the game.
Walker made a half break and with the pack in support Matt Shiells made the
telling yards to score a try. The conversion was missed, the referee blew for
the end of the half and the scoreboard recorded 19 – 24.
The second half started quietly but after 10 minutes the Garnock forwards won
a lineout near the Lenzie goal line. A powerful drive gave Joe Chapman the
chance to dive over and score. The conversion was missed and the scores tied
at 24 points each.
At this stage Garnock were much the better side but, with both sets of backs
willing to run the ball at every occasion, more scores were inevitable.
In the 55 th minute of the game stand-off Gavin Cruickshanks weaved his way
over the try line to put Lenzie ahead at 24 – 29. Burns goaled a 20-metre
penalty in the 59th minute to extend Lenzie’s lead to 24 – 32.
Ten minutes later Ross Johnstone got his name on the scoreboard when was
fed the ball from a set scrum and with the Garnock pack in support he scored
near the corner to bring the score closer at 29 – 32.
With 5 minutes left the Lenzie kicker converted another penalty to make the
score 29 – 35 and looking like the final result. Garnock however had other
The forwards kept driving towards the Lenzie try line and, with the pack in
support, Stuart Wilson touched down well out. Walker converted the try and
Garnock moved ahead at 36 – 35.
There was still time for restart. This was fielded by Garnock and held tight until
the 80 minutes was signalled before the ball was kicked into touch.
The final result of 36 – 35 gave Garnock a bonus point victory.
Next Saturday Garnock travel to East Kilbride in the first round of the Shield
Click HERE for images of the game
Previous post

Lenzie 21st September 2019

Next post

Garnock Pay the Penalty